Monday, July 23, 2007

My little cotton-bum

Tonight I ordered 2 dozen Indian prefold unbleached diapers, along with 6 Thirsties brand diaper covers, from the Maine Cloth Diaper Company, which is run by the cousin of an old school friend of mine. I've done a bunch of research on cloth diapers -- there are about a thousand different varieties out there -- but in the end I decided to start with the good old-fashioned prefolds (but with modern, velcro-closure covers, which eliminate the need for scary diaper pins).

When I was a kid, there were maybe 2 kinds of cloth diapers available, plus "rubber pants." That's what I was raised in. Now, there are fitted diapers, prefolds, flats, pocket diapers, all-in-ones, and more. They come in many sizes and colors. There are even diapers made of bamboo nowadays -- "low environmental impact!"

In the end, I think I decided on the prefolds with simple covers just because if I end up not liking them or switching to a different style, at least I'll have some nice, soft, absorbent burp cloths/changing pads/dust cloths for many years to come. I remember Mom using my old diapers as cleaning rags throughout my childhood. And during some of the few play sessions in which I actually played with dolls, she taught me how to fold cloth diapers and secure them to a "baby."

I got to visit with some old grade- and high-school chums in my hometown this weekend, and they even surprised me with some baby gifts! They are so sweet. It was nice to be home again. MDad and I are going to work on the nursery this weekend -- will post pictures when it's done. Let's hope that happens before the third trimester, when I'm huge and immovable.

Murky has been busy today, but thankfully not on my bladder. Nice, gentle fluttery kicks near my navel. I could handle that for the rest of the pregnancy -- as IF that's what's going to happen!

No comments: