Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Coffee Break Post: Suburban Homesteading

I'll post more about this later, but I just wanted to chronicle, as much for my own memory as for anyone else's edification, what I've been reading lately (or would like to read in the near future). Most of them are offshoots of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver:

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan -- this and Kingsolver's book are primarily responsible for my recent and dramatic conversion, as much as is practical, to purchasing and consuming locally-produced organic foods. More on that later (when I'm not at work).

Two books by Wendell Berry: The Art of the Commonplace and The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture.

The Good Life and other books by Helen and Scott Nearing.

Marion Nestle's What to Eat.

John Seymour's The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It.

David E. Robinson's The Complete Homesteading Book.

And, for fun, Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve. ;-)

No comments: