Monday, October 22, 2007

Hello Doppler, My Old Friend...

I'm soooo glad I rented the fetal Doppler machine way back when I was only, what, 15 weeks?

A big part of the fetal non-stress test is monitoring the baby's heartbeat while he's quiet and then while he's active. Just like a "regular" person, a fetus's heart rate should increase when active, and decrease when his movement decreases. It gives me some peace of mind to be able to listen to Murky's heartbeat a couple of times a day - once before work, and once before bed. About 5 minutes ago, his heartbeat was 148 -- just right! If I hadn't rented the Doppler, I'd have to wait agonizing days in between monitorings at the doctor's office.

Here's the link to lots of great baby shower photos by Auntie K -- can you believe she did those baby bootie flower arrangements herself???

MDad and I installed the car seat bases in our vehicles this weekend, and we registered for cord blood banking. Aside from the steep initial fee, I was surprised; I thought the annual fee would be a lot higher. It's probably one of those things that we'll spend money on and never have to use...but hey, it would be a good thing not to have to use it, right???

We also made a Target run for non-perishable snacks for the hospital bag, just in case we get hungry in the middle of the night during labor (Dad, that is -- Mommy's not allowed to nosh before the baby is born); and for after the birth (Mommy especially -- birth and lactation, etc. will take it out of her!). We also bought a small package of disposable newborn diapers, because Mommy is anal (no pun intended), as well as some hair bands to keep my hair out of my face, and an extra package of thank-you notes (people have been wayyyyy too generous!).

The only other thing I can think of to pack is a robe and comfy jammies. Trouble is, I don't have anything that I wouldn't mind...um...staining. Moms out there: did you bring anything special to the hospital with you? Did you bring special clothes? Is there anything you feel you should have brought but didn't?

On the MurkyGrammy front, she is getting excited about having her own place! Let's see if it lasts...

No comments: