Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Math is Hard

Wait, I realized I wasn't comparing apples to apples in that last post. I was using fluid ounces (at 2 T per ounce) for calculating the cost of my homemade food, but I was estimating the cost per ounce of Earth's Best based on weight. So, let's do this on a per-tablespoon basis:

My homemade sweet potato baby food cost about 10 cents per tablespoon ($2.00 divided by 20 tablespoons).

Earth's Best costs about 18 cents per tablespoon, assuming there are about 5 tablespoons in each 4-oz (by weight) jar. Therefore, my homemade baby food is significantly less expensive than Earth's Best. If Andrew consumes 10 tablespoons (the equivalent of 2 jars) of baby food a day, that's 80 cents a day, or $292 per year. At least for the sweet potatoes ;-)

However, Earth's Best is organic and (gasp!) I didn't use organic sweet potatoes to make the baby food this time. Plus there's the cost of energy to cook the food and run the dishwasher afterwards, neither of which expense I would incur with jarred food.

So, this will be a continuing saga. I noticed the local supermarket has frozen peas on sale for 8 cents an ounce (by weight, of course). I love playing the cheap Yankee. Seriously, though -- saving money by making my own baby food could almost offset the skyrocketing cost of gas! Not.

Why the hell am I still awake? I love getting a second wind at night...I just hate it in the morning.

No comments: