Monday, September 10, 2007

Busy, Busy Baby

Murky, I think it's really cute how you make the laptop jump and roll when it's resting on my belly!

Last weekend, Dad and I had the first of two all-day Saturday childbirth preparation classes. We learned the typical breathing exercises, labor positions, how to recognize the stages of labor, etc. Next week we get to tour the birth center. We also ordered the nursery furniture, bought the bedding and accessories, and worked on the nursery some more. I must say, I greatly admire Dad's mitering skills!

The hospital offers a breastfeeding class; I hope to sign up for one in the near future -- probably in October.

Tonight, I watched some MSNBC stuff about the state of the world and politics, and then there was a Dateline special on a horrible home invasion/triple murder that took place recently. How can we possibly hope to raise a normal, well-adjusted kid with so much crap going on all around us? I guess every generation of parents feels that way, but sometimes it just seems like the odds are stacked against this new crop of little ones. Global warming, overpopulation, pollution, corruption...it goes on and on. I know they'll somehow find a way to overcome, or at least deal with, all of it, but I personally want to do everything I can in the meantime to make the world a happier, more human place. I want to remember, on a daily basis, that I am fortunate to have so many blessings, and that I should cherish them: my partner, my family, my friends, my work, my environment, my health, and, of course, my little boy (ETA: TBA, of course!).

A lot of people have few, or even none, of those things.

No comments: