Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What not to say to a pregnant woman

"Wow, you don't look 7 months pregnant! You don't even look 5 months pregnant!" (from a colleague this morning)

As someone who has suffered a miscarriage in the past, I'm not able to handle this comment rationally. What do you mean I don't look pregnant? I certainly feel pregnant. My baby is moving around vigorously and frequently. My OB seems to think everything is going fine. Just because I'm not a huge fat elephant doesn't mean that I'm not experiencing any of the "joys" of being pregnant -- sleeplessness, swollen feet, backache, greasy hair, headaches, nosebleeds, heartburn, frequent urination -- the list goes on and on.

I'm 5'7". My baby is spread out inside my belly. My belly doesn't stick out 2 feet, but neither is it nonexistent.

Instead of telling me that I don't look very pregnant, how about offering me a chair or a glass of water? How about a kind word? God knows I'm not getting any of those from my mother lately.

This is supposed to be a happy time, and I am miserable.

No comments: