Wednesday, September 5, 2007

New Car Adventures (or, Gotta Love CT Taxes!)

Registration Fee: $75.00
Non-Emissions Fee: $40.00
Title Search Fee: $25.00
Federal Clean Air Act Fee: $10.00
Lien Fee: $10.00
License Plate Fee: $5.00
Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fee: $5.00

Plus 6% CT sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle, paid in full, all due when I register my car at the DMV.

I particularly love the "Non-Emissions Fee" -- they're charging me $40.00 because I am registering a new car, which is not subject to an emissions test (which costs $40.00). Guess they have to get their $40.00 either way, even though they don't actually have to do anything to my car.

As for the Clean Air Act and Greenhouse Gas Reduction fees: What, exactly, is my $15.00 going to? The federal government? Planting trees? How does my money directly clean the air and reduce greenhouse gases?

No comments: