Saturday, November 3, 2007

Rainy (Un)productive Day

This morning I slept in (hallelujah) until 8:30 a.m., made a quick bowl of oatmeal with Craisins, which I ate with a banana and a huge glass of milk, put in some mommy laundry (baby laundry came later), and tidied up the living room a bit. I made a grocery list. I took the cat to the vet (she had a gross ingrown dewclaw).

My friend D came down for a visit; theoretically he was supposed to help move Mom to her new apartment today, but for various reasons we're going to wait until next weekend: the maintenance man is still finishing up some projects and the place needs a thorough scrubbing; D didn't have his pickup truck today; MurkyDad is away at a conference and he's going to get one of the two business ends of Mom's couch, bed, etc. when the time comes to move; and, finally, I'd really like Mom to stay with me until MDad gets back from the conference. We all did take a trip down to see the progress on the apartment, though, and I'm happier with it than I was when I first saw it. The maintenance man has painted, replaced linoleum, replaced switchplates and the medicine cabinet and the lighting fixture, replaced the stove and vent, and replaced the mini-blinds and all the interior doors. Like I said, all the place needs right now is a thorough cleaning (and a shower head that doesn't spray water all over the bathroom when you turn it on ...)

So, instead of working, D and Mom and I made Maine-style Italian sandwiches, ate fudge cake, and shot the shit for a few hours. D and I investigated 1080p LCD TV reviews. You see, Mom is planning on taking the TV when she moves, so I just have to buy a new TV. And why buy something sub-par? After all, if we're up with a newborn at 3:00 a.m., we want to be able to watch QVC on the best possible set, right???

I'm finishing up the second of two loads of baby laundry now. Murky's dresser and armoire are now officially full of newborn/0-3 months, 3-6 month, 6-9 month, and even some 9-12 month duds. It is scary how many clothes he has -- many have been purchased by family or friends, and many have been donated by a coworker who's done having kids. What they all have in common is that they are Too Damn Cute for Words.

The cord blood collection kit is ensconced in the hospital bag, as is the Boppy pillow, as is virtually everything else we'll need (I hope). But seeing as how the house is literally 2 minutes away from the hospital, it's not such a huge deal if we forget something.

The last load of laundry just stopped, and I have to get ready for a video chat with MDad at 9:00, so TTFN...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Katie! Hope she feels better. You certainly seem closer to the "let's get this over with mentality" than the "I'm not ready yet" mentality! I think if MDad were not travelling, you'd be ready! But then, what do I know - hard to really relate as I am so far away from experiencing this myself! Looking forward to the announcement though!